Aging Parents

If you or a loved one is in or entering a skilled nursing facility, a rehabilitation facility, or a nursing home, we can help. Medi-Cal is a California state benefit that can help pay for a facility. You’ve probably heard a lot of horror stories of Medi-Cal taking homes, and that has happened in the past. However, we can avoid this.

Long-term Mede-Cal eligibility rules are as follows:

Single Individual
You can have $2,000 in assets, a home, and possibly retirement accounts. If you are over this threshold, our Medi-Cal Trust is for you. Income of the patient will go to the skilled nursing facility as your co-pay, or share of cost. However, we may be able to prevent this as well.

Married Person
You can have $128,640 in assets, a home, and possibly retirement accounts. Planning for married couples is more complicated, however, our expert team will guide you through the planning process to help you or your loved one become eligible.

Upon receiving information from you such as assets, income, and goals, our expert team will review your case. Upon completion of the review, we will guide you on how to establish, fund, and use a Medi-Cal Trust that. Once our instructions are follows, you will be qualified for Medi-Cal and California won’t touch your estate when you pass away.

Pour-Over Will

A pour-over will is a special type of will that is used in conjunction with a trust. Technically speaking, if you have a trust and all your assets are in the trust, you don’t need a will. However, maybe after you make your trust you purchase a car, or some other asset and you don’t “fund” it into your trust. In that instance, your will states that any asset you own personally should be placed into the trust. The executor of your will can then place the asset into the trust and your successor trustee can then distribute the asset per the terms of the trust. Think of the pour-over will like a safety net to catch those assets that are left out of the trust.

Durable Power of Attorney & Advanced Health Care Directive

A durable power of attorney and an advanced health care directive are legal documents in which you name the person who has the power to act in your place if you become incapacitated. The person is your “attorney in fact”. The durable power of attorney gives your attorney in fact authority over financial matters, such as bank accounts, investment accounts, DMV paperwork, etc. The durable power of attorney is different from an advanced health care directive which gives your designated person authority over your medical decisions when you are unable to make those decisions yourself. The advanced health care directive can make the difference between life and death in a medical emergency. Often times the person given these powers is a spouse or an adult child who you trust to make such decisions on your behalf. If you choose our “Gold Package” you receive both a durable power of attorney and an advanced health care directive along with your trust and the deed to place your home into the trust.